Ableton Custom Constrol Script / AutoMapping

I got it working! At least, for the volume faders!

(although, what I think REALLY want is to have the volume fader affect the utility on the track…? and auto map to that…)

This is the doc on the topic (a bit anemic…): https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/206240184-Creating-your-own-Control-Surface-script

This is my Config script:

UserConfiguration.txt (4.1 KB)

My faders are CH1 CC32-39

Note: there are a few guides out there pointing to your Ableton directory not your “user preferences” directory. These are wrong!

it’s %APPDATA%\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences\User Remote Scripts or ~/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/User Remote Scripts where you want to create the directory.

Note 2: I put my global channel as 1, because that’s what it’s sending on…? That was apparently wrong. Global Channel is 0…?

Question: Anyone have a more sophisticated way of mapping controls? The UserConfiguration.txt file seems a bit limited… And all of the ones that come with Ableton have .pyc files so there’s some Python utility generating scripts somewhere…

Question 2 for the Yaeltex guys: Are the channels standardized? (ha, this is the second time I’m asking about standardization) E.g.: if someone put 8 faders on their controller, are they always CC32-39? Would 12 faders be 32-43? (In other words, can my config be useful to anyone else? Or is every controller unique?)

Thanks!

Super that you got the vol faders working!

Yeah, the UserConfig file is a bit limited but usable.

This generic remote script its pretty cool, and quite easy to set up. Kudos to Fabrizio Poce for his work. Great stuff
Download the .zip containing the script and search for a file called MIDI_Map.py and edit this file with a text editor to match the midi configuration on your controller.

:slight_smile: They are unique, the default config is different in each controller, the file contains the elements that are part of that controller.
If a user chooses to share his/her design in the community gallery and another user remix it/buy it as it is, those 2 will have the same default config.

But if you share something cool other users can “copy” your midi configuration and use it. E.g: putting those faders in that specific value/channel.

I would recommend checking out the amazing tools from our friends at Native Kontrol and Remotify too.

Haha, remotify keeps coming up. I’m thinking I might have to pull the trigger.

1 Like

Also the new Control Surface Studio from the same people that did Remotify it’s looking great. Lots of new interesting features compared to Remotify.

Yea, that’s actually the one I purchased.

I have my gripes (the design UI isn’t very user friendly), and I ended up writing some JS to rip through their JSON and rename/reindex everything. But it really is super powerful in what it enables in Ableton.

But the combination of my new controller and CSS and I can take over the world!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

We are thinking of developing some kind of “master script” in order to be easily set up with different MIDI messages without needing too much coding work.

Meanwhile, I wanted to list the tools that @Ale suggested and some others to check in order to develop a custom script or advanced Ableton control. I will add more to this post if we find some: