Add a screen under fader?

Just discovered your brand, and have to say that i totally fell in love with yours controllers/concept. You are pushing the boundaries of controllers!!

Now, I’m wondering if, in the future, you think about to add some screen under faders in order to have some personalized visual feedback; as you can do with the Maschine (Native Instruments) in midi mode with Controller Editor.

It would be insane :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @maxence.ducher!
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words!

Now, I’m wondering if, in the future, you think about to add some screen under faders in order to have some personalized visual feedback; as you can do with the Maschine (Native Instruments) in midi mode with Controller Editor.
It would be insane :slight_smile:

I agree entirely! it would be a great addition to the framework.
We are still thinking about it, and even did some prototyping but it is still a long way to go to be in production.

Let me take the opportunity to ask, if you had to choose from the following options (or add your own) which approach would you prefer?

1- A small 3-row color ( or monochrome?) screen that you can put under a component, let’s say up to 16 per controller.
2- A big, let’s say 4 inches, color (touch?) screen where you can display all the info, but only 1 per controller.

We are still thinking about the best approach, we would be happy to get insight from the community.

1 Like

I am happy to share my thoughts with you!

With your controller, my goal would be to control multiple plugin/VST. Let’s say that for each programmed bank, I could control a plugin. And I have a lot of plugins… So I would need some visual feedback to remind me of the programming function on each component.
Maybe an illustration of the position of the screen for each components would be a better way to explain :

As you can see, I really don’t need a big touch screen. A basic bitch screen would make the job.
What do you think about that :nerd_face:?

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for the input.
Yes, that would be super useful.
Two rows would be enough though?

And what about color or monochrome?

Oh my goodness this would be awesome!! Not sure about color or monochrome but something like the avid artist mix displays would be great. Can see those from all angles.

If this does happen, would existing units be able to be sent back to fit the displays?

Thanks!!!

1 Like

hi @Ale and everyone! Haven’t been through here in a while (but I’ve been using my Yaeltex constantly, and it’s holding up really well!) Glad to see you’re still getting batches out in spite of everything, and I hope things are going smoothly and that you’re all hanging in there.

I’m going to have a little more time for side projects and (in addition to picking firmware hacking back up on the v0.20 base) I’ve been thinking about advanced concepts in controller mapping, so I was excited to hear that on-board screens are still under consideration.

So I’ve only ever used external devices with LED strips (think Mackie Control) and I think those would be a great addition to Yaeltex (split up as you say). I’d strongly suggest something like that over a big screen (which IMO would eat up too much space, be too computer-like, and would be hard for users to be flexible with). Something like what @maxence.ducher has in mind would be awesome.

However, I’d like to suggest an option 3. I just picked up an Arturia Minilab mk3 as a portable KB/controller. It has a tiny monochrome OLED screen which I didn’t think I was going to like, but I am absolutely blown away by how well it works and what a difference it makes. Even one of those per device, with some pre-defined screen modes (e.g. BIG TEXT over small text; [knob] Text | value; etc.) that can be switched by MIDI, and an efficient way to pass text/values into the modes over MIDI, would launch the Yaeltex framework into the stratosphere. And if you could have more than one per device, well, watch out!

I could write up MANY more thoughts about this if you have any interest in exploring the OLED option. (EDIT: looks like @ericgma has OLED in mind as well–just looked up the Avid Artist Mix and it has a bank of 8 of those.)

3 Likes

Dear @gc3
Thanks for your thoughtful message.

Indeed here we are, delivering batches through these turbulent times.
If you add to the global macro conditions the particularities of Argentina, I suppose we should be happy to be where we are.

Anyway, displays it’s definitely an element we want to add to the system, we are actually ordering some samples this week!

First, as @maxence.ducher suggested, we are exploring the small (OLED) size and multiple units path, we are considering a display size of half size of today’s grid unit (soon to be subdivided), so equal to or slightly less than 35 mm by 17,5 mm. We need to maintain the proportions constraints, it should fit under any present and (to some extent) future element.

Color and/or monochrome: we are pondering this one, we are ordering both.
Monochrome is perfectly fine, but with RGB you can “monochrome it” if you want but get all that color-coded data (and candy!) if you need it. The additional power consumption is a con for the RGB option (more if let’s say, max displays=16).

with some pre-defined screen modes (e.g. BIG TEXT over small text; [knob] Text | value; etc.) that can be switched by MIDI, and an efficient way to pass text/values into the modes over MIDI

And this is key, it has to be easily controllable with midi and fully addressable by SysEx.

I could write up MANY more thoughts about this if you have any interest in exploring the OLED option.

Please do!
I will share any progress made on our side.

If this does happen, would existing units be able to be sent back to fit the displays?

@ericgma I don’t have an answer for this one right now. It would involve a new front panel, and possibly some hw modifications, etc. Not impossible but not super easy.

1 Like

Awesome! I’ll most likely get a new one anyway. I really like these controllers and having an oled display for parameters would be the best!

3 Likes

Hi! Chiming in to say that I’d also be extremely interested in the ability to have screens to see what parameters I have access to at any given moment. I feel like screens are a great bang for buck because they can be so dynamic and helpful in taking my eyes off of the computer screen. It’s the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on one of these controllers. As of now my top choice is still the Behringer X-Touch which has these dynamic scribble strips – unfortunately that thing is massive, and it has a lot of other features I don’t really need.

I’d also throw in my vote for:

-Several smaller screens as opposed to 1 larger one so that the text on the screen is as close to the knob/fader/button as possible, and so that you can see at a glance what each of the controls do, rather than a single screen. Basically what maxence.ducher showed in their (very cool) mockup, although I’m fine if it’s not possible for a screen to “share” a grid unit with another control. At least for my use case, I’d simply want a row of 8 grid units, each with 2 screens stacked vertically in them, and then a row of 8 encoders above and below the screens.

The problem with a single screen is that either you can only see a few parameters at a time, and you have to wait until a control is touched or moved (impossible in the case of buttons) in order to see what you’re controlling, or, if they display all the available parameters, the screen would have to be quite large and it can still be easy to adjust the wrong control because it’s not next to the label.

One exception would be if the screen was a large long strip that could span 8 grid units, allowing text labels to still be adjacent to their corresponding controls, similar to on the Ableton Push. Advantages to this would be that its (presumably) easier to manufacture and could possibly be upgraded down the line to display more complex information such as EQ curves in conjunction with some type of software. But the downside would be that it wouldn’t be applicable to layouts that don’t have 8 consecutive controls. Another downside would be that in case of defects, it’s presumably more expensive to replace a larger screen than a smaller one. So to me, multiple small screens still offers the most flexibility and clarity in terms of function.

I’d also prefer color screens over monochrome to take advantage of the track color coding abilities of Ableton / other DAWs for the (i’m assuming fairly common) situation where a controller has a row of controls representing some parameter across several tracks, such as a typical mixer setup.

My ideal controller would have 2 rows of 8 endless encoders with LED rings, with each encoder having a screen indicating the parameter its controlling and the value, and then some buttons to switch between the 8 modes. Essentially a MIDI Fighter Twister but with dynamic screens per knob. The platform ya’ll have created seems to be the closest thing I’ve seen to something that could do this.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @stephencolacurcio!
Thanks for the input, super interesting.

One exception would be if the screen was a large long strip that could span 8 grid units, allowing text labels to still be adjacent to their corresponding controls, similar to on the Ableton Push. Advantages to this would be that its (presumably) easier to manufacture and could possibly be upgraded down the line to display more complex information such as EQ curves in conjunction with some type of software. But the downside would be that it wouldn’t be applicable to layouts that don’t have 8 consecutive controls. Another downside would be that in case of defects, it’s presumably more expensive to replace a larger screen than a smaller one. So to me, multiple small screens still offers the most flexibility and clarity in terms of function.

Totally agree, maximum flexibility is independent displays and the ability to put them wherever you want (either vertical or horizontal!) with a decent max amount (we are aiming for 16, we will see), this is the path we want to take first.

After we gather data on how users actually use them, we might make elements reflecting this, for example with 2, 4, or 8 displays in a row.

We are also thinking of giving the option to configure any screen as a “main” one. Even if it’s small we could start opening the door for some features we have in mind, like configuring the controller on the device, etc.

I’d also prefer color screens over monochrome to take advantage of the track color coding abilities of Ableton / other DAWs for the (i’m assuming fairly common) situation where a controller has a row of controls representing some parameter across several tracks, such as a typical mixer setup.

Agree!

My ideal controller would have 2 rows of 8 endless encoders with LED rings, with each encoder having a screen indicating the parameter its controlling and the value, and then some buttons to switch between the 8 modes. Essentially a MIDI Fighter Twister but with dynamic screens per knob. The platform ya’ll have created seems to be the closest thing I’ve seen to something that could do this.

We will get there :slight_smile: