Antomology Report 1

This is the bug reporting thread for the Stephen Louis Lighting One For All custom yaeltex midi controller.
First Topic:
KILOWATT really likes to do funky stuff when connected to the controller;
1) When kilowatt is open in the browser it will prevent all midi routing to desired softwares. Closing Google Chrome fixes this problem
2) When editing in kilowatt, sending a new mapping to the controller periodically freezes Google Chrome and de-syncs the controller.
3) After trying to close Google Chrome and reopen it to reboot the kilowatt app, the Chrome app won’t fully open. It appears in task manager but won’t open any actual windows. Running as administrator or unplugging the controller did not fix it. I was forced to fully restart my computer to get Google Chrome back.
4) Current workaround is to edit of the saved desktop file and then connect the controller to kilowatt to update the controller

Second Topic:
Softwares arnt used to this many possible midi notes from one controller and they are doing some weird things
1) Sound Switch mapping is fine but it’s one of the easiest softwares to map to so that is expected.
2) Resolume is having the most issues with entire rows duplicating midi messages. To explain; there are multiple digital with overlapping midi notes. When I first got the board, I remember they were all assigned to ch 2 but now they are ch 1 again. If I change them back to ch 2 will it correct this issue?
3) I’ll move on to mapping beyond when I’ve fixed the overlapping digital

Hello @stephen.sweeney!
Welcome to the forum!

And thank you very much for reporting your issues.

1. When kilowatt is open in the browser it will prevent all midi routing to desired softwares. Closing Google Chrome fixes this problem

If you are using Windows, which sounds like it, then this is a general issue with the MIDI ports handling for this OS. It won’t allow 2 different applications to open the same port simultaneously
There’s not much to do here with this, but to open and close the ports or the applications you don’t want to use

1. When editing in kilowatt, sending a new mapping to the controller periodically freezes Google Chrome and de-syncs the controller.

Kilowhat sometimes will lose connection with its server. We suggest you save your configurations and send them to the device regularly when using the application.

1. After trying to close Google Chrome and reopen it to reboot the kilowatt app, the Chrome app won’t fully open. It appears in task manager but won’t open any actual windows. Running as administrator or unplugging the controller did not fix it. I was forced to fully restart my computer to get Google Chrome back.

Chrome and Windows have some particular issues with our app which we arrived to the conclusion that are linked to the way MIDI ports are handled in this OS and the WebMIDI API. Really dug into this and researched and found a few hints pointing at this.
We’ll keep looking into it in case there are updates that can help us solve this issue.
In the meantime, we suggest you use only one application at a time with your controller. This will likely reduce the chances of something getting corrupt with the low-level MIDI port handling.

1. Current workaround is to edit of the saved desktop file and then connect the controller to kilowatt to update the controller

Oh no! We don’t wish this to anyone. Someone on this forum suggested using Prettify JSON to make the file more readable.

1. Resolume is having the most issues with entire rows duplicating midi messages. To explain; there are multiple digital with overlapping midi notes. When I first got the board, I remember they were all assigned to ch 2 but now they are ch 1 again. If I change them back to ch 2 will it correct this issue?

The second topic sounds more easily fixed and the answer to the 2nd point is YES

Our controllers ship with a default configuration that progressively uses notes and CCs from 0 to 127, and when the 128 possibilities in channel 1 are used, notes and CCs in channel 2 are used, and so on.

Your controller has 172 buttons (encoder switches + rubber buttons) so it’s using all the 128 notes of channel 1 and 44 notes on channel 2
So, if you changed the channel 2 messages to channel 1, you must certainly have repeated messages on the controller and they will overlap.

Thanks again for sharing your issues and if you need further assistance, we can set a remote call with you to help you understand what’s going on!

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses! I’ll start by saying, I NEED to use my controller with more than one application. It’s the entire purpose of the controller. So I will continue to try and share my workarounds here.
I’ve been using Bome Midi Translator pro to route my controller to multiple ports. That way none of the softwares are directly linked to the controller. Instead the controller sends signal to BMT 1, 2 and 3. Bmt1 goes to resolume, BMT2 goes to my second computer running soundswitch that is connected over the network, and BMT 3 is for pangolin beyond. So far I’ve been able to control both resolume and soundswitch simultaneously without any problems. Beyond is the hardest to physically map so I’ll save that for last and report back later.

My main issue now is designing the fixed button colors on kilowatt. I designed the colors of both the soundswitch and resolume section of my board, but the resolume section won’t work properly. It reset my encoders back to red and only lights up a few of my digitals, some with the preferred color others without. Do you know why it might be doing this?

BMT might help like you suggest, but in Windows you won’t be able to connect directly the controller to more than one application at the same time.

The color settings should not change anything about how the controller behaves with the software.
The issue with the feedback, if you are using fixed colors, might be that the controller is not receiving the MAX value in the note velocity. That’s the way to light it up, and MIN value to turn it off.

Maybe Resolume is sending different velocities, you can try to find out which velocities it sends, and set the MAX value to these numbers.