Change Feedback Mode in Live

I had a Midifighter Twister with which I discovered the joys of the encoder.

The advantage of the RGB encoders is to be able to control any parameter, and to be able to change in live which parameter the same encoder can control. The display updates as needed. With Bome Midi translator, this is relatively easy.

From what I read in the Kilowhat manual, I can send values to the controller, to tell it

• Which Feedback value to display
  • What colour Feedback Wheel to display
  • What colour Feedback Switch to display

But I don’t see anywhere how to change the Rotary feedback mode frome Value, in Live: Fill, Spot, Mirror, Pivot.

I know that depending on the bank, you can display another rotary feedback mode, but for my case, it will not be possible, it means several hundred banks to configure.

I have looked at the source code, but I don’t seem to have seen a way to change this. Can you confirm this?

1 Like

I had a Midifighter Twister with which I discovered the joys of the encoder.

Please keep in mind that the Midifighter twister has non-detented encoders and the ones on our framework are detented.

Interesting,
You are right, we don’t have the option to remote control the feedback mode.
I will add it to the feature request list.

• From what I read in the Kilowhat manual, I can send values to the controller, to tell it

• Which Feedback value to display
    • What colour Feedback Wheel to display
    • What colour Feedback Switch to display

In the coming firmware, it will be also possible to control brightness.

i’m still trying to get button feedback from ableton track SOLO on more than one bank. Using LOCAL as feedback source i can get the button to light blue but the light goes out when i change banks even though that track is still soloed. This makes it impossible for me to keep track by sight of which tracks are soloed across the 4 banks i’m using.

(fwiw i don’t plan to use the mouse to toggle track solo on/off, only my yaeltex device.)

I made a CSS script that i thought could fix this, but alas . . . no go.

any ideas? is Bome Midi Translator something that would help me here?

The SOLO button from ableton, when manually mapped, does not send any midi message, this is a limitation on AB side, and yes if you set your buttons to “local the feedback” they will get desynchronised eventually (the controller is not listening to ableton). The way to make it work is by using the remote script or remotify, that way you get bi directional communication.

yes, i understand. we’ve covered this. i am breaking my ass trying to come up with a workable script with Control Surface Studio, which REPLACED remotify - i haven’t been able to accomplish this. now i’m trying to use Bome Midi Translator Pro to get bi directional communication.

Do you have anyone who knows CSS who can help me? or someone who knows BMTP?

I don’t see how BMT can be helpful in this case, but I might be missing something. Can you clarify how do you plan to use it?

Have you seen this tutorial? I think that is pretty much what you are trying to do. If you tried and didn’t work, what exactly didn’t work?

Did you try to get help on the CSS forum? you will have more chances to find someone experienced that can help you with this particular thing,

I will anyway ask around and let you know if I find someone experienced in CSS that can help you out with this.

i’ll try again. i had NOT seen this tutorial, thanks.

quick question - i use 4 banks. do i set midi to “none” for all of them?

If you want the solos to be consistent on all banks you need to configure buttons to the same midi message across banks.

The button config should look something like this:
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 13.21.42

and the feedback should match the button config, like this
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 13.21.54

Repeat the config for each button in all banks.
Let me know how it goes.

yes. this i know. but in kilowhat i have to choose midi channels for the banks. does that matter? i’m guessing it does.

also, do i need to toggle anything in “midi merge?”

also, same question about “remote banks.”

yes. this i know. but in kilowhat i have to choose midi channels for the banks. does that matter? i’m guessing it does.

Yes, the midi channel matter, it has to be the same. Don’t change it from the bank’s config, change them on the component config (so you don’t overwrite the whole bank).

also, same question about “remote banks.”

also, do i need to toggle anything in “midi merge?”

Leave them both off.

Remember to occasionally save your kilowaht config in case you have to go back.

ok, each bank has to be the same midi channel?
and i’m not clear what the second sentence means. leave them on “none” on the banks page but change the midi channel on the bank card? will that bank card be different in each bank?
how would i (mistakenly) overwrite the whole bank?

No, just components across banks, but forget about the bank’s midi channels for now.

Just work on component config on the corresponding card on kilowhat.

i read your replies over and over and over while i fantasize about all the words you leave out. your instruction is not thorough. WHY am i supposed to forget the bank’s midi channels for now? until when?

on the banks page . . . for the 4 banks i’m using . . . in the drop down menu for midi channel . . . how do i determine which channel to choose? (currently ch 15)

the banks’ corresponding cards are not editable. i see no way to change them. they are currently showing ch 16 while my banks page is showing ch 15.

regarding components, the buttons, pots and faders are the same across all banks. the encoders are NOT.

ok, it took all day to figure out, but i’ve just successfully mapped the SOLO button to stay on across banks. in case anyone else needs to do this, here’s the test configuration of 6 tracks across 4 banks i used in CSS:

once you have mode 1 completed copy it 3 times, so you have identical modes for each bank. then add 4 mode selectors to the 5th mode.

match the mode with the bank buttons

2 Likes