Disabled Encoder?

My Encoder 0 had "disabled": true set for “switch_config” and “switch_feedback” for some reason… This disabled the ability to modify them in Kilowhat.

"0": {
            "encoder_mode": {
                "hw_mode": 0,
                "speed_value": 0
            },
            "rotary_config": {
                "message": 2,
                "channel": 0,
                "midi_port": 3,
                "parameter": 0,
                "parameter_lsb": 0,
                "parameter_msb": 0,
                "parameter_min": 0,
                "parameter_min_lsb": 0,
                "parameter_min_msb": 0,
                "parameter_max": 127,
                "parameter_max_lsb": 127,
                "parameter_max_msb": 127,
                "key_left": "\u0000",
                "key_right": "\u0000",
                "modifier_left": 0,
                "modifier_right": 0,
                "comment": "NOENC?"
            },
            "switch_config": {
                "type": 0,
                "double_click": 0,
                "mode": 1,
                "message": 0,
                "midi_port": 3,
                "parameter_min": 0,
                "parameter_min_lsb": 0,
                "parameter_min_msb": 0,
                "parameter_max": 127,
                "parameter_max_lsb": 127,
                "parameter_max_msb": 127,
                "key": "\u0000",
                "key_left": "\u0000",
                "key_right": "\u0000",
                "modifier": 0,
                "modifier_left": 0,
                "modifier_right": 0,
                "qstb_bank": 0,
                "qstbn_note": 0,
                "disabled": true
            },
            "rotation_feedback": {
                "mode": 2,
                "source": 3,
                "message": 2,
                "color": [
                ]
            },
            "switch_feedback": {
                "type": 0,
                "source": 3,
                "message": 0,
                "local_behaviour": 0,
                "color_range_enable": 0,
                "color": [
                ],
                "disabled": true
            },
            "value": 0
        },

If you search for “NOENC?” it’ll bring you to the encoder in question. I was able to delete this attribute, flash the controller, then had to change the switch mode to get it to populate all of the fields properly in Kilowhat (I used Prettify JSON Code addon to make them more readable)

“current” has the working config, “disabled-enc” has the config with the disabled encoder.

QBRDS1-current.ytx (267.4 KB)
QBRDS1 (10).ytx (267.5 KB)

I got it figured out, but I’m curious as to how/why this encoder was singled out.

Actually, Kilowhat is still acting funny:

“NOENC?” card, the Encoder Switch option is missing again…

Every other encoder:

Also, if you select “NONE” for rotation feedback, the whole block just goes away. Note the “Rotation Feedback” is pointing down

Hi @qbrd!

The switches and buttons selected as bank shifters are disabled to edit.

Probably your encoder 0 was set as a bank for bank 0 (it’s a known bug with a near solution)

Just setting the shifter to “none” should do the trick :slight_smile:

Ah! Ah ha! Setting the bank selector to “None” does seem to have fixed it!

Then when I set the bank selector to one of my pads, the pad configuration is disabled. Which I think is expected behavior.

However, shouldn’t the pad light up when the bank is selected?

EDIT: hmm… it does light up once Ableton is loaded.

The bank selectors are always lit.

The current bank will be brighter than the “unselected” banks.

All the bank selectors should light up at the start up of the controller and not when Ableton is loaded.

If it isn’t lit, maybe the bank colour was set to black? It will take this information for the shifter color.

If you detect something else to help us understand what’s going on, let us know!

So two things I’ve noticed…

1. Changing Bank Color changes color of all LEDs

I’ve gone through and changed colors of most everything, either specific colors or in the case of my pads to “relative”.

I tried to change the color of the bank button by changing the color and it changed the color of all the pads.

Fortunately, I had a backup I loaded and was back in business.

What I did was set the bank selector to “none”, set the color of the key to fixed, then went back and set the bank selector to the desired button.

1. When the controller first loads all the lights are off, once I interact it seems to “load” the correct state

This may have something to do with the signals remotify is sending?..

When I plug in the controller everything is unlit, including the bank selector.

When I load Ableton it seems to load the remotify script and all the buttons turn the “off” color I’ve set… Then when I close Ableton the lights all turn their “on” color… I think this might have something to do with remotify though…?

I see @qbrd, there’s no way to set the shifter color without setting the rest of the bank.

We thought of it as a first step to configuring a bank, but the interface doesn’t match this thought.

We’ll work to improve this, for sure. Glad you found a way around it and did not lose your work.

For the remotify question I’ll pass the torch to @Ale :slight_smile:

That’s not normal, banks should be available at all times. Lets check the bank config first.

This is how two banks and one button should look like: Note that Bank 2 it has to be in momentary mode to be able to come back to bank 1.

When the remote script is launched it sends a dump with all the data to your controller. if you are on a mac, you can “spy on output destination” from Ableton-to-your controller using this midi monitor. its an easy way to see what going on.

Let me know how it goes.

You know, this job would be great if it wasn’t for those users…! :smiley:

Ok, so check it out. Let’s start with your configuration:

Button is blue, when I press it it’s a more powered up blue. Ok, I would kinda expect it to be green, I guess that makes sense.

What my brain wants to do is set both of these to button 48:

(but I can’t… :slight_smile: so set to 49 here)

But both 48 and 49 are lit green and blue respectively:

I think, maybe I just found an edge case bug, or maybe this is the bug @francoytx was referring to? Because this:

When I plug the controller in, has no buttons lit.

And I suppose you expect for a single bank that you won’t have a button set because it doesn’t actually DO anything… but my thinking was “Well, if I’m going to eventually have to dedicate a button to a bank then may as well assign it now and start building everything around it” (maybe I didn’t have a specific plan for every button… or maybe plans change… lol. My 4th button below the slider I had really wanted to use for toggling the “monitor” status apparently can’t be used for that so… not sure what I’m going to do with it… lol)

Anyway, it remains in this state until I do… something in Ableton. I’m not quite clear what that is (push a button? but… I dunno, troubleshooting in progress). Then it lights up like this:

Then when I close ableton I get:

And if it’s in this state, I pretty much have to unplug USB and power to get Ableton to recognize it again (not always though, sometimes just starting a new project after loading seems to trigger whatever is necessary to “wake up”. So, Close Ableton, Open Ableton, Start new project… don’t quote me on that though… like I say, troubleshooting in progress… haha, ok, since I typed the above, every time I’ve started and stopped ableton everything has come up as expected… so I don’t know)

And I seem to have broken my encoders because they don’t toggle anymore… O.o (I have a backup .ytx file! so breathe easy! :wink: )

Anyway… I started off this post trying to be helpful but I feel we may have lost the plot…

Hi @qbrd! Sorry for the delay on this answer.

The problem with this, is that when you set the shifter to “none” there’s actually nowhere to find the configuration for the bank 0 color :open_mouth:

The idea for the shifter color is to show you at all times the color of the bank that it shifts to, but we didn’t think about the possibility to have only one shifter alternating banks.
Will try to find a way around it.

This makes sense, cause you only configured 1 bank, and the controller doesn’t take shifter IDs into account if there is only 1 bank configured.

The remote script usually sends the initial state to the controller either when you plug it it and Ableton detects it as a controller with a surface control script associated, or if it was plugged, when you initiate Ableton.

It’s weird it won’t do anything until you “do” something, will check about that, but I’m guessing it’s on the script side of things.

There are specific events in Ableton (i don’t remember all, but I think hitting stop, or closing a MIDI port, and/or closing Ableton itseld) when it sends a bunch of MIDI messages to turn off all notes in all channels, but if I’m not mistaken it’s CC messages (CC 123 I think, took it from this post) but if your buttons are assigned to NOTE messages, I don’t think that’s whats happening here.
Maybe the script again, is detecting Ableton closing and sends stuff to the controller to turn it off?

Sorry I’m not being very precise, but I can’t test this thoroghly at the moment. I’ll try to do it soon.
In the meantime, tell us if you discovered something else :slight_smile: