Encoder Ring Parameter Value Feedback

I’ve set up a script in CSS using their Device feature so that if I select Track 1 eight of my encoders control the first 8 macros of device 2 on track 1, and if I select Track 2 those same eight encoders control the first 8 macros of device 2 on track 2.

From a control standpoint, this is working fine. However, the encoder ring does not update to show current parameter values when I select one track/device or the other.

I’m not sure if this is a settings issue with Kilowat or a settings issue with CSS.

Does anyone have guidance?

It’s not working on any track? I have the same set up here (this a script made in the Remotify web app) and its working fine,

This midimonitor has a cool feature called “spy on output destination” so you can see what messages the script is sending to the controller. Observe if the messages sent by the script when you select a new track match the feedback configuration on your encoders.

Hey @Ale!

When I change modes, the “dedicated” encoder assignments all update with their parameter values, but when I change devices within a single mode the 8 “shared” encoders at the top do not update parameter values, even though the control of the devices from one track to the next is working. My intended design for Möchte was that most controllers would be dedicated per the track/channel they represent, but that the 8 encoders in the top right would be dynamic to a device on the currently selected track.

I’m not sure how the setup looks in Remotify web app vs CSS, but here is a snapshot of a device setup.

Related, but separate topic while discussing encoder rings… do you have any guidance on how to change the color of the encoder rings based on the current mode? The buttons change colors easily, but I’ve not yet got encoder ring colors to change. It would be great to have the visual cue of color when jumping between modes.

1 Like

Hey @Neil!

When I change modes, the “dedicated” encoder assignments all update with their parameter values, but when I change devices within a single mode the 8 “shared” encoders at the top do not update parameter values, even though the control of the devices from one track to the next is working. My intended design for Möchte was that most controllers would be dedicated per the track/channel they represent, but that the 8 encoders in the top right would be dynamic to a device on the currently selected track.

That should work.
I don’t have CSS to try it my self, but in the web app it’s pretty straight forward:

Track type: Selected
Device chain nº: Selected or a specific one.
And add the 8 midi messages of your encoders.

Maybe it’s a good idea to set a new project in CSS and start small: add the device parameter feature and see if you get to work, add it later to your final script.
To debug it use the midi monitor “spy on destination” and see if the messages sent by the script to the controller match the ones on the encoders. There shouldn’t be more to it.

Related, but separate topic while discussing encoder rings… do you have any guidance on how to change the color of the encoder rings based on the current mode? The buttons change colors easily, but I’ve not yet got encoder ring colors to change. It would be great to have the visual cue of color when jumping between modes.

Yep, the “Value to color” feature on the encoders rings is coming soon. The feature is ready on the firmware side, we are working to make it available in Kilowhat.

Let me know how it goes!

@Ale

You just gave me the clue that I was missing!

I needed a track specifically for “Selected” mappings.

I was embedding the Device in all of the individual tracks and using the Device Selector, thinking it was the select that would move the device assignment. From a functional standpoint, it worked, but it did not benefit from the encoder ring feedback. Once I added a new Track, set it to Selected, and added the device once, it started working with enduring rings updating to parameter. As always, thank you for the reply!

Also, thank you for the understanding that the encoder ring color change is dependent on some coming updates. Any general timing you can share on that update? Weeks, months, quarters? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool! Im glad you sorted out.

With the risk of being too optimistic I would say next month.

1 Like

How is the feature dev/deploy coming along? :wink:

1 Like

It’s ready, but it’s delayed by other tweaks here and there to finish the next firmware/kilowhat update.
With the risk of being too optimistic, I would say two more weeks :wink:
if you can’t wait, drop me a dm.

1 Like

So… how’s that firmware update coming along?

1 Like

Hey @Neil, Sorry for the late replay,
It’s closer, we found some unexpected challenges along the way.

I won’t venture into giving a fixed date again :wink: but we are working to put it out asap.
If you want to try a nightly build, I can email it to you.