Encoders: Reaction time? / Joystick Size? Bulky? Etc

I am preparing to create my first custom controller with Yaelex.

I was unable to find answers to the pertaining questions (if these questions have been answered, feel free to direct to me to the correct post or information).

1. Can the digital encoders speed/reaction time be changed? In other words, I might want the rotary encoder to respond very quickly when going from 0 - 100. It is important that the speed can be altered because it might make me prefer to use regular analogue potentiometers if they are too slow.

2. Regarding Joysticks, particularly the “fixed” version. I have never used one but I am interested in the concept for living mixing. Firstly, do they stick firmly in the position you keep them? Are they too wobbly or can they easily lose their “fixed” position? Secondly, are there any good pictures or measurements of the joysticks? I am curious how bulky the fixed joystick is? For example, how tall is it? It is important especially when thinking about travelling with the joysticks when I put the controller in my travel bag.

Thanks in advance,

Felix

Hello @dubcaravan!

1- Si, it can be changed. See the options here.
The potentiometers are a better choice if you intend to make super-fast adjustments.

We’ve introduced a new option: an endless potentiometer with encoder features (feedback, etc). Although they’re not available at the factory yet, you can inform us via email if you’re interested in using them.

2- We call the Joysticks you move and stay in position “loose”. They are stable and stay where you leave them, but if you for example are using your controller, not flat on the table, but vertically standing they could move because of the metal stick weights.

With a joystick, the height of the controller is 7 cm. Below is a picture with the joystick in context.

Screenshot 2024-10-21 at 16.21.45

Let me know if you have more questions,

Greetings,

Thank you for your response.

When you say endless potentiometer do you mean that it can be continuously rotated 360 degrees? How do the old encoders work? Are they not able to be rotated 360 degrees? What happens with your old encoders when changing function? For example, let’s say I am using 1 encoder potentiometer as 2 sends (1 for reverb and 1 for delay)? If I do a program change by pushing down on the encoder to switch between the two sends how does the encoder behave regarding rotary positioning and metering after changing?

Thanks for the information about the loose joystick. How easy is it perfectly center the loose joystick? Does it click into place if I move it to the center? I like the idea of the loose joystick over the one that springs back but the only thing I am concerned about is being able to put the loose joystick back perfectly in its center position. In other words, resetting the position back to default so values are back to zero.

Do you guys make custom sizers for the mixers? I find the sizes a bit limiting. The boards for me are either too small or too big. I like medium size board but I would like it to be just a little bit bigger to make the perfect portable controller for me.

Best Regards,

Felix

@dubcaravan,

When you say endless potentiometer do you mean that it can be continuously rotated 360 degrees?

The main difference is that the new ones are non-detent, meaning they are smooth continuous rotations without clicks, no mechanical stopping points, and free-flowing movement.

The old ones are detent, meaning they have distinct “clicking” positions or stops as you rotate and provide tactile feedback at specific points

They both rotate 360 and both have the same RGB feedback system.

How do the old encoders work?

Configuration-wise, they work in the same way.

What happens with your old encoders when changing function? For example, let’s say I am using 1 encoder potentiometer as 2 sends (1 for reverb and 1 for delay)? If I do a program change by pushing down on the encoder to switch between the two sends how does the encoder behave regarding rotary positioning and metering after changing?

This applies to both versions. It depends on how it is configured. If the feedback is set to local, the controller will remember the values and update accordingly. If it is mapped to an app, the app will send the corresponding values.

Thanks for the information about the loose joystick. How easy is it perfectly center the loose joystick?

It’s not a precision tool, but it is possible and we have a feature called dead zone to help archive that. The 0,0 is not in the center but in the bottom left corner, however, we added another feature called split value that lets you split one axis of the joystick into 2 values and have the 0 at the center.

Do you guys make custom sizers for the mixers? I find the sizes a bit limiting. The boards for me are either too small or too big. I like medium size board but I would like it to be just a little bit bigger to make the perfect portable controller for me.

Yes, we do. I sent you an email as a follow up.

1 Like