Endless Encoder - Switch Feedback Option

Hey Gang,

Wondering if someone might point me in the right direction here.

I have 32 endless encoders with switch functionality and I’m wondering what MIDI channel & bank I should have them feeding back to?

They are currently set up to feedback to MIDI channel 1 on various banks (see photo)

These settings appear to be clashing with other mappings and don’t function correctly. When I move all the feedback settings to an empty MIDI channel the problem goes away but I don’t think its the best solution.

I’m wondering what is the optimal feedback settings for the Channel and bank of each encoder?

Currently I have 4 banks set up. For bank 1-3 the encoder switch is set as ‘quick shift to bank’ - it quick switches to one of the three banks. Bank 4 the switches are used as triggers for clips in the session view in Ableton.

As I understand it, it doesn’t really matter what channel the switch feedback is on for bank 1-3 so long as they don’t interfere with another message being sent on the same channel. For bank 4 I will need it to feedback on the same channel as the message that is being sent from the switch?

If this is the case would it be best to have all of the switches feeding back to the same channel across all banks?

thanks for your suggestions :slight_smile:

Hello @rawmuir!

Can you describe with more detail the issue you have when the settings clash?

I am looking into it and I can use some more info on what is the behavior you get

Hi @francoytx

Thanks for getting back to me.

The set-up should be relatively straight forward :slight_smile:

I am using the Turn controller. I have 4 encoders mapped to two banks. Bank 1 = Macro 1, 2, 3 & 4 Bank 2 = Macro 5,6,7,8

I have the push button for the encoder set to “quick shift to bank” 2

I have Ableton push as part of my set up.

When using bank 1 & 2 I get bi-directional feedback between Ableton Push and Yaeltex. However when I press the quick shift to bank button I only get directional feedback from the Yaeltex to the Push. Feedback is not sent from push to the Yaeltex.

I have attached the video I sent a few months ago to give a better visualisation of what is going on.

Here is a basic version of the MIDI remote script:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I_m4nyDcrI3R_REDmwOqhQ32pRf2-FDY?usp=sharing

And the Ableton Project in case you need it:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XuFFmwrtfdk9tPnWpOd5Ai_hJ8MwpDHr?usp=sharing