Midi Parameter Issue

Hey Folks,

Trying to troubleshoot and issue here and wondering if anyone might be able to suggest where to start.

Parameter no. 123 is not functioning on all Midi Channels.

I am developing a control script in Remotify and it seems any Kilowatt Card/Item that I map to Parameter 123 on any Midi Chanell (1-16) does not function.

If I change the parameter number than I can get my mappings to function, but I need to solve this issue in order for my script to function properly.

My instinct tells me that its an issue with the Yaeltex controller sending multiple parameter messages to one place, although having said that it seems strange that this would happen even when I change the MIDI channel as well.

I have check all of the cards in Kilowatt and each card has its own unique parameter message and Midi channel across all 5 banks as far as I can see.

I have also reset the Kilowatt cards to default settings, and then made one card send to parameter 123 - even when it has been reset it still doesn’t work :frowning:

Any other suggestions would be most welcome at this stage.

Thanks

Ross

Hello @rawmuir!

Check the following:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010389480-Using-MIDI-CC-in-Live#h_01EVS7ER9FA95S3ZPQZFHCHV3P

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=250041

Why can’t I edit the values of MIDI CC numbers 120-127 in clip envelopes?

These CC numbers are reserved for specific functions within Live and are not available in the MIDI Ctrl chooser. Some of them can be used via Max for Live.

“CC123 is a switch used to tell an instrument to turn all active notes off.”

Hope you can find a workaround!

Very helpful thank you.!

I am not having trouble with any other values from 120-127 but from what I read above it seems like a goood idea to leave these values free for Ableton functionality just in case?

A small unrelated question - the 16 MIDI channels that are on ‘offer’ - these apply to the whole system and not just the yaeltex right?

So if I add more gear at a later stage they will be using the same 16 MIDI channels as the Yaeltex?

In other words if I plan to expand my setup at a later date do I want to be as efficient as possible in terms of channel utilisation or does each MIDI device have its own 16 channels?

Thanks once again

You have 16 channels for each MIDI port.
In case of USB-MIDI, each USB connection or device has 16 channels available.

You can use the 16 channels safely with the Yaeltex controller and when you add another device you will have 16 new channels to use for it.

The only case that this doesn’t apply and the channels are shared with different devices, is when you have a MIDI chain setup, where only the first device is connected via USB to the computer, and then you have different devices in a chain using MIDI IN and THRU ports.
For example:

In this case you have to be careful not to have duplicate messages.