MiniMixxx preview: Mixxx + Yaeltex

For a while I’ve been wanting to create a “MiniMixxx” setup so that I could have everything I need to DJ in a small bag. Most “small” DJ controllers make bad choices, dropping important things like the mid eq knob (!). So I commissioned a controller from Yaeltex and mapped it out to my liking.

It supports:

• 2 decks
  • 2 channel mixer with full eq and quick FX knob
  • pitch and gain faders
  • (no crossfader – who needs it?)
  • encoders as simple jog wheels for tweaks and seeking
  • encoders as VU meters with colors matching intensity
  • gain adjustment
  • loops and beatrolls
  • beatjumps
  • sync lock
  • key lock and musical key adjustment
  • 4 Hotcues per deck (supports custom colors)
  • 8 Samplers
  • Library navigation
  • 1 FX unit (in addition to quick FX knob)

The button assignments are a little hard to remember without labels, I will probably have to make some :).

I plan to pair this with a Raspberry PI setup for the ultimate tiny DJ system. Here is a little video of the mapping: https://youtu.be/0kQOocHjfuI

(I can’t figure out how to link to the MiniMixxx controller, it’s number 16088)

2 Likes

Feature request for next round of hardware: can you include a 4 channel sound card in the controller? (main out + headphone out) :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool one @owen.williams!
A lot of power in such a small package.

The button assignments are a little hard to remember without labels, I will probably have to make some :).

Yep, probably a good idea, more so with so much going on. Also, labels are a good help in the motor learning process.

I plan to pair this with a Raspberry PI setup for the ultimate tiny DJ system.

Can Mixxx run on Pi? The form factor and power of the Pi modules are really tempting…

Here is a little video of the mapping: https://youtu.be/0kQOocHjfuI

:partying_face: Lovely how are you using the encoder’s feedback rings!

Feature request for next round of hardware: can you include a 4 channel sound card in the controller? (main out + headphone out) :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: A feature request that pops up pretty often, it’s already on the “nice to have” list.
Tbh, we haven’t really deep-dive into it, but make it part of the framework is not trivial. We’ll see.

Mixxx runs quite well on the pi4. I haven’t really tried to strain it but basic mixing works fine, including the waveforms.

2 Likes

For this, I see that you havent used the included VU Meter mode. So you are sending two different CC values, one for intensity, one for color, right? Looks amazing!

Maybe a sharpie letter/symbol on the button itself? I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure it will be erasable. Sticky labels below each button are maybe less risky :stuck_out_tongue:

Loving to see this one in action. Curious about that Raspi setup. Keep the updates!

How do I make the minimixxx available for other people to buy? I have some interest from the other mixxx developers.

1 Like

So cool!

encoders as VU meters with colors matching intensity

How do you achieve this without using VU meter CC mode?
Did you customize the firmware?

1 Like

The knobs are using the VU meter mode of the firmware, yes. I just send a lot of CC values:

Hi!
Thanks for the script, seems dope!
From what I understand, your encoder feedback is configured as Message type = CC, Color mode = Value to color, and you send the value to the encoder channel, and the color to channel 16, right?
Or is it something else?

I got the same conclusions @nacaramusic hahah

and the colors of the video match the limits @owen.williams uses for the colors in the vuMeterColor() method (85 to 22).

Configured as VUMETER CC, the colors are not changeable (yet :crazy_face:) and the ring is the vumeter itself.

It’s a great hack :slight_smile:

We will talk to you about this via email :wink:

1 Like

yup, I send those two CC messages with every tick. There is a 50ms timer that drives the updates to the vumeters and spinnies.

2 Likes