RGB buttons stay in color from different bank

I’m not sure if it’s bug, or I missed something, but I’ve noticed strange behaviour while using various banks. On BANK 1 (midi channel 1) I have mapped RGB buttons for clip launch in Ableton, and same buttons on BANK 2 (midi channel 2) are mapped to execute various tasks on my PC (these tasks never sends any feedback messages). While clip in Ableton is stopped, colors changing properly while switich banks, but while I start playing clip in Ableton, then after switching bank to 2, and returing to bank 1, I see color of RGB button from bank 2 (on playing clip button). Correct color is back after stopping clip. The situation occurs regardless of whether the button sends a message type NOTE, CC or PC. The situation is only one-sided, i.e. the RGB buttons used in Ableton to launch clips take over the color from another bank while playing specific clip.

1 Like

…i had a similar strange behaviour with colour feedback for different banks and somehow solved it by activating the „local“ feedback function for the dedicated button, sending the new setup to the device and after that i could deactivate the „local“ feedback again (and then sending this setup to the controller)…maybe try this…

1 Like

Hello @daniel.sikorski and @bbaker, and welcome to our forum!

Sounds like a bug. I will take note of it and try to reproduce it when I come back from holiday :slight_smile:

Happy New Year!

hi,
i don’t know if you were able to reproduce this issue but i can confirm that my solution (setting “local” feedback for the dedicated knob, sending this to the device and then removing “local” again and sending this to the controller again) does the trick!..today i “repaired” 3 knobs this way…
best regards
markus

Hello @daniel.sikorski!

I am trying to understand and replicate your setup in order to get the behaviour you mentioned.

Could you please share your configuration, meaning the .ytx file?

Were you using a script or did you directly map the buttons to the clip grid?
Were you using the value to color feature for the buttons?

I finally understood what is going on.

You mapped directly to ableton clips, right?

If you map to Mutes for example, this doesn’t happen.
But for clips, Ableton sends random velocity values for each clip state, and every Beat 1, it sends a Note with velocity 1 for every clip that is currently playing.

Our LEDs on Fixed mode only turn ON or OFF when receiving the configured MAX or MIN values respectively, but the other values are stored anyways, and even if they don’t have an immediate effect on feedback, when switching banks they do have an effect.
This is not desired, and could be seen as a bug, in cases where the software sends update values like this.

We will work on a workaround for this.

For you now, I can suggest a few options:

1. Use our Universal Remote Script instead of directly mapping clips. This way, using our Value To Color feature, you can customize the LED colors for each clip.

2. Use the Value to Color feature, instead of the Fixed mode for the LEDs of the clips. This way the updates when switching banks will be shown correctly, but you won’t be able to choose the LED colors. They will be pink as soon as you press a button, and before the clip starts, white when the clip starts, and red after the first clip cycle.

3. Try this firmware with the fix: ytx-v2-firmware-0-23-test-fixed-color-fix.bin (115.8 KB)
    It is an UNRELEASED FIRMWARE, so you can test it, but make sure you don’t do this if you have important shows or performances coming up. If you can give it an extensive test, go ahead.

Let us know how it goes, which solution you choose, and if you have any other questions!

Cheers!