Value To Intensity - Any pointers Welcome :)

Hey Folks,
I am trying to get my head around Value to Intensity but I don’t really understand how to make it work. I have had a flick around the manual but I can’t seem to find any information on how to set it up.

I am trying to get LED feedback so that Switches in Yaeltex Flash/Blink or Glow when a clip is playing in Ableton. I am programming my controller using Remotify just FYI.

The first thing I am trying to achieve is get the LEDs to be brighter or dimmer - my first instinct was to build functionality that sent a velocity value to the switch but this doesn’t seem to work.

I see that by default the MIDI channel for Value to Intensity is 15 - so perhaps I probably need to specify this in the code. There is an option for this ‘send raw MIDI data to Controller’ (see screen shot) Although unfortunately I have no idea what information/string I would have to send.

Once I’ve figured this out I am trying to make the brightness of the switch modulate. I would like to create some sort of Sin wave pulse so when a clip is playing the switch apears to flash - is something like this acheivable?

So far I have managed something…I have the output volume of Track 1 sending velocity values to the knob in the video. You can see as I change the volume the velocity values are changing. (see the video in the link)

The problem is is the feedback is reflecting the values as those from the velocity to colour and not velocity to intensity.

I have changed Kilowatts settings so that they both are on the same MIDI channel (16). I have also made the settings so only Velocity to Intensity was on MIDI Channel 16.

In CSS there is an option to input custom code so I can define the input for the MIDI data. As stock it is shown like this:

I have tried changing the 'Velocity to Intensity setting to MIDI channel 4 and still no response.

Hello @rawmuir!

Value to Intensity feature will work when you send the velocity on the correct channel configured in Kilowhat.
By default this channel is 15.

Value to color feature will work when you send the velocity on the channel you configure for the switch feedback.

From the video, the data you are sending seems to be affecting the value to color feature.

You need to find a way to change the MIDI channel.

“Send RAW MIDI data” might help if you can combine it with the custom parameter you want to send.

Raw MIDI data consists of three bytes in hexadecimal format:

• Byte 1: Command
    For Note ON this command is 0x90 for channel 1, 0x91 for channel 2, 0x92 for channel 3 and so on.
    Here you have to use the channel you configured on Kilowhat - 1, in hexa.
    For example, for channel 15 the correct byte would be 0x9E.
    Note OFF is similar but 0x80, 0x81, …
    Control Change command ix 0xB0, 0xB1 and so on for different channels.

• Byte 2: Note # or Controller #
    This is the note number from 0x00 to 0x7F (0 to 127)

• Byte 3: Velocity or Value
    This would be the actual parameter you want to send, again, from 0 to 127 in hexadecimal.

If you find a way to send this raw midi data, the value to intensity feature should work.

Let me know if this helped and if you have any further doubts!

Thanks for getting back to me Franco - unfortunately I am still hitting a brick wall here but I will keep trying.

There is an option is in Remotify for ‘Send RAW MIDI Data’ but the problem with this as far as I can tell is this restricts me to a static value. As I understand it the 3rd Byte in the string can only be input as a static value and will not give me the flashing Feedback I’m looking for.

The workaround I have tried to try and change the channel for the button I am trying to active.

I change the button to CC Chanel 15 parameter 1

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 09.23.55

predictably when I do this is goes back to reflecting Value to Colour and Not Intensity.

This screenshot shows a snapshot of the set up - CSS is sending a velocity value between 0-127 to the input of Channel 15/1 (it shows 14 as of course it starts from 0). This works with value to colour but when I turn Value to colour off i just get a fixed brightness.

Excuse me if this is not making sense but unfortunately coding is for sure not my strong point. If there any contacts for experts in MIDI/Python at this stage I would welcome them - I’ve been deep in this project since February and I all I have in front of me at the moment is glacial progress and issues to solve…

Thanks once again, I’ll sit down with it some more and see if anything else can work, but in the mean time I look forward to your response.