What I'll be using my controller for

nice. I didn’t specifically mean to create an RGB monome, just a similar form factor. I thought about rewriting Hachi for a 16x8 or 16x16 but then realized the uniform layout would be a drawback, since it’d be harder to remember the functions of buttons in certain positions. which is how we got my Yaeltex, which is laid out like a Launchpad but with more of everything.

2 Likes

yeah, you have to memorize what buttons are responsible for what with a uniform layout, and more attention needs to be given to visual feedback. this was the idea behind my yaeltex design - i have the full 128 area available without having to dedicate a row or a column for pages or main functions. i do appreciate the minimalist design of monome grids though! an idea distilled.

3 Likes

A couple of videos of Hachi running on Hachi:

This is basically writing a translator from the Launchpad layout directly to Hachi. You can probably see that not everything is updating correctly, and there appear to be some timing issues. But it’s a start! Once I iron out the display issues, then I get to start adding new features :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is truly awesome, @mike!

Just WOW @mike :clap::clap::clap::clap:

psyched!

I managed to get my first sequencer module (partially) ported to the new Hachi:

It’s missing a lot of stuff, like save/load and sync. but I was able to take the guts of that sequencer and fit it into the new framework and get it running. lots to do, but still pretty exciting. the difference between this and the previous videos is that this is on the new framework I’ve been writing, which will make it easier to add new features to support the Yaeltex while still working on the launchpad. plus, who can resist an opportunity to refactor?

that sequencer, by the way, consists of 8 steps (the vertical columns), each of which can contain multiple notes and various modifiers like louder (green), up/down an octave (orange), hold an extra step (dark blue), repeat (pink), slide (gray), etc.

6 Likes

Awesome stuff, @mike! Really looking forward to seeing more of this as it develops :slight_smile:

This is awesome!

What do all the colors mean? Seems like the seqencer is following the blues, but you got all kinds of greens and pinks and yellows in there.

1 Like

Each column is one step. The blues are notes, based on position (the 8 rows correspond to the 8 white keys on a piano). The rest of the colors are modifiers, and their position in the step (i.e. which row) doesn’t matter. Orange is octave up/down (bright/dim), green is velocity up/down, cyan is sharp/flat, dark blue is hold for an extra step, pink is repeat, gray is slide, etc. You can also put multiple notes on one step, and it will cycle through them. It resets to step 1 at the start of a measure, so you can play with the timing and it will loop back rhythmically.

It’s ended up being my favorite sequencer for melodic stuff. I have a more typical mono/poly sequencer, but it’s a lot more painful to use!

4 Likes

Oh wow! I kinda thought they were modifiers of some sort.

That’s really cool! Now I want one :wink:

2 Likes

You can run the code I linked to above on a launchpad pro :slight_smile: the Yaeltex-supporting update will be a while yet, but it should make it easier to run it with whatever controller you want. I have run an adapted version on my Yaeltex though & could help get it running on yours, if you have enough buttons :slight_smile:

1 Like