Yaeltex / Touch OSC / RTP issue

Hello there,

I’m a very happy customer (4x Yaeltex controllers for a world-touring band which I shall not name, @francoytx & @MateoFY / @ma.te.o (?) will know.)

Alas : since I implemented an iPad running Touch OSC to monitor the CC changes on stage, I had one of the controllers going berzerk on me. Nearly ruined the show in front of 10K+ people.

Setup : 2x Yaeltex controllers + 2x MidiFighter Twisters going into an Mio XM, straight into an RJ45 switch which feeds both my 2x MacBook Pro M2 Pro for redundancy.
Yaeltex 1 = MIDI channel 1 / MF Twister 1 = Ch2 / YTX 2 = Ch3 / MF Twister 2 = Ch4.
Everyone has its own MIDI Channel.

Everything was working great until I plugged my iPad running TouchOSC, into the main computer to monitor the Yaeltex 1 CCs. I just copied the exact same parameters coming into Ableton from Yaeltex 1 through my RTP MIDI Session, into Touch OSC. Had to plug it in directly via USB-C since I don’t have an MIO on my rig, but my iPad has its own dedicated RTP session.

I’m no newcomer to iConnectivity nor to RTP MIDI, and double checked the kit.
Everything was going great while sound checking, then for 30mn after start show…
But 30mn in the show, YTX controller 1 went dark. Everything froze.
Ran on stage, disconnect / reconnect YTX, no luck. Then disconnect / reconnect power on the Mio XM (waited the 10 longest seconds of my life in between), that made the trick - but only for outgoing MIDI messages. YTX Controller 1 did not receive MIDI from Ableton anymore.

YTX 2 & the two Midi Fighters were absolutely OK.

Did anybody run into Touch OSC + Yaeltex issues there ?
I’m trying to reproduce this issue right now without any luck, with the exact same setup, and am running out of ideas…

Hello @urk!

We’re very sorry to hear this happened, and it’s in our interest to find out why this happened and how to prevent this from happening ever again.

We can make a call to work out possibilities as to why this could’ve happened and arrive to a satisfying conclusion.

Some questions first:

• Is YTX 1 controller receiving messages on your tests to reproduce? or since this happened it has never received messages again?
  • In the live set-up, is Ableton running simultaneously on both MacBooks and sending/receiving data to/from the controllers, with only the audio not being heard?
  • Are you using a control surface remote script for the controllers? and for the MFTs? Which one/s?
  • Are you sending any data at all from the iPad to the controllers?
  • Is the feature “Remember state” in Kilowhat ON? How is it useful to you?

The “Remember state” feature up to firmware v0.21 was proven to cause some delay in the feedback updates and sometimes even controller rebooting when the controller is receiving large amounts of feedback data.
We made some improvements to the firmware to minimize this erratic behaviour in firmware version 0.22 which hasn’t been yet officially released.

Let me hear the answers to these questions so we can track the issue down :slight_smile:

Hey Franco, nice to hear from you,

Blockquote
Is YTX 1 controller receiving messages on your tests to reproduce? or since this happened it has never received messages again?

I don’t have the exact controller right now as it’s been shipped for the next gigs, but I have his “brother” replica which receives everything as it should.

Blockquote In the live set-up, is Ableton running simultaneously on both MacBooks and sending/receiving data to/from the controllers, with only the audio not being heard?

Exactly. True MIDI redundancy, with only an audio switch from A to B systems if needed.

Blockquote Are you using a control surface remote script for the controllers? and for the MFTs? Which one/s?

No remote script whatsoever, everything’s directly MIDI mapped straight into Ableton.

Blockquote Are you sending any data at all from the iPad to the controllers?

Yes. The aim was to be able to help the guys on stage if ever they forgot to turn something on or off. I reproduced the mapping of YTX 1 on Touch OSC to be able to monitor & interact.

Blockquote Is the feature “Remember state” in Kilowhat ON? How is it useful to you?

No, it’s OFF.

As said via direct message, I prefer not to run a beta firmware while touring, but will test it out happily :wink:

I’m using Live15 thru a MioXM as well, just wondering, is this resolved?

1 Like

Live 15 ? Wowwww are you a time traveller ? :wink:

I ended up upgrading to an Mio XL and more importantly, we now use the MIDI-DIN ports on the Yaeltex.
USB-MIDI is great when directly plugged in a computer ; but when a lot of information is going on via RTP-MIDI, it’s best to use the good old copper road to transmit MIDI !

We just finished a 6 Arenas tour in Europe, without any problem.

2 Likes